Sunday, November 22, 2009

More tips for care packages

Okay, I've been thinking about this. There are a couple of other things to keep in mind when sending care packages to troops overseas.

One is "Know your troop." That is, what I need overseas is different from what my son needs. I'm a support troop, he's a combat troop. I'm a senior NCO, he's a private.
Mainly this means I have more access to a PX (store), I am pretty much staying in one spot most of the time and I have money to buy what I need. At least more so than a young private.

So if you know a kid over there who is a combat troop on a small Combat Outpost (COP) like my son, send him or her anything and everything. The things on the list in my last post are all good. But if you are sending things to a support Soldier on a big Forward Operating Base (FOB), keep in mind we probably don't need baby wipes and ibuprofen. Our PX will have all that stuff. I should modify this a little, location trumps job type. If your troop is a REMF, but stationed on a COP, send the baby wipes. Of course, you should listen to your troop and send them whatever they ask for no matter where they are.

Something else to keep in mind, eliminate packaging and ziploc everything. This is especially important for a grunt like my son who is living out of his rucksack. Ziploc type bags are extremely useful. You can keep little stuff organized and dry, and you can see through the bag so you don't have to open everything up to find what you are looking for.
Eliminating packaging means less garbage your troop has to deal with, and makes the package you are sending lighter and cheaper to mail.

Last, if you want to hear from your troop, include some self addressed envelopes or postcards in your care package. You don't need to put stamps on them, letters and postcards are free from combat zones for the troops. You might even put a couple of sheets of paper in each envelope, especially for the grunts. When I was a Cav Scout I could never keep letter writing paper clean and dry, it always ended up getting thrown out.

PS, I think I need to add this. Don't send your troop contraband items. You may think it's cute to include a couple little airline style bottles of booze, but you can get your troop in a lot of trouble. I don't think I need to say it, but don't send drugs either.

No comments: