Saturday, June 02, 2007

Global warming... again

I liked what NASA Administrator Michael Griffin said the other day in an NPR interview.

"To assume that it is a problem is to assume that the state of Earth's climate today is the optimal climate, the best climate that we could have or ever have had and that we need to take steps to make sure that it doesn't change," Griffin said. "I guess I would ask which human beings — where and when — are to be accorded the privilege of deciding that this particular climate that we have right here today, right now is the best climate for all other human beings. I think that's a rather arrogant position for people to take."

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing Colorado warm up a little bit. It's JUNE, for crying out loud, and it's STILL cold in the morning!

But seriously, he makes the same point I was trying to make in a previous blog. He just does it better. I understand why all the people living in coastal areas, and people who worry about polar bears more than people, are all up in arms about climate change. They have a dog in the hunt, so to speak. Personally, I don't expect the world to stay exactly the same forever, I don't expect every species of animal to survive infinitely, and I don't expect the government to provide me with health and happiness. (Just threw that last one in there to see if you are paying attention.)

Griffin is right, it is extreme arrogance to think we should try to "freeze" the planet, so to speak, in it's current state. We should try to minimize our impact, keep the air and the earth as clean as possible, protect wildlife from undue harm, etc... I'm in favor of most of the environmentalist agenda. I love the outdoors and want to see it protected for my kids. But I don't expect every glacier to be exactly the same for them as it is for me.

And not when it means crippling our economy or radically altering our way of life. If that makes me selfish, so be it. I like my car and my motorcycle. I like my heated and cooled house and my lights at night. I like the malls, theaters and coffee shops I am entertained at, and the heated swimming pool at my gym. I'm not willing to sacrifice that to try to save New Orleans and the polar bears. F 'em.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No one is ever convinced by someone they perceive as unreasonable. You are capable of better reasoning than this.

I appreciate the chance to point that out, by the way. Yelling "ditto!" all the time was getting a little tiresome.

hidesert