Monday, March 19, 2007

Another watch post

No politics this time.

I hesitate most of the time to post things that are very personal. I worry a little about having so much info about me out on the net. That's why you never read about my kids or anything very sensitive here. But after hanging around for a while on the couple of forums that I read, I realize that I'm not the only insane person posting stuff on the net. Actually, by comparison, I look pretty normal.

So I will go into the latest chapter in my search for the perfect watch. I took my blue "Bond" Omega Seamaster back to the dealer and traded it. So I traded this:


for this:



This is the insane part: I spent days agonizing over this. You would think choosing a watch would be pretty much a cut and dried issue. Find one you like and buy it. But for me it's different. Read this post first, to give you an idea what I mean. And this for part two of the story.

But here is the rationalization that I came up with for all this angst. (Really it's only a rationalization too, after all it IS just a watch...)

I started out looking for the ONE watch that could do everything. I was looking for a watch I could wear everyday for everything: sports, dress, going to the field or back to Iraq. I, of course, found out that this watch doesn't exist.

A couple of things bothered me about the blue Seamaster. I didn't like the hands, they look a little cheap to me, plus they don't show up at all in the dark. I didn't like the bracelet that came with it either. But the main thing is that I looked at this watch and I saw a businessman's watch. Not a Soldier's watch. So I traded it for the black Seamaster.

So here is my solution to the watch dilemma. The Seamaster for just about everything, a cheap digital for running, a Suunto Vector for hiking and in the field or on a deployment (along with the Seamaster), and this watch for dress:



A gift from my lovely wife.

Hopefully this solution will last.

No comments: