Saturday, March 24, 2007

ANCOC

The Advanced Non-Commissioned Officer Course at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. Or ANCOC at APG, MD. I'm in the middle of the first week of the two-week course.

I am a Sergeant First Class, and this class is intended to make sure all Soldiers at my rank and in my MOS (military occupational specialty), are trained in the same areas and are proficient at our jobs.

I'm a mechanic and at my rank basically I'm in charge of a motor pool and a platoon of mechanics, usually 30 soldiers. I'm responsible for keeping the equipment up and running, scheduling preventive maintenance and keeping my troops trained and ready for the next deployment, when and if it comes.

So this week we have been getting lots of really boring, but necessary, training in logistics management and personnel management. Basically how to order parts for the equipment and how to deal with problem Soldiers.

Next week will be more fun. We will be taking training in Combatives, or hand-to-hand combat. If I make it through the course and pass all the tests I will be certified to teach Level 1 Combatives.

I had some hand-to-hand training over the years that I wasn't very impressed with. This is a new program the Army has adopted in the last two or three years, and it's supposed to be pretty good. I think the Marine Corps is using a similar program.

I'll post when I can.

HERE is a link to the Army combatives manual.

No comments: