Monday, February 05, 2007

Ehren Watada is a coward

Just calling it like I see it.

I have no problem with a guy who opposes the war. I have no problem with a Soldier who opposes the war. I have a major problem with a guy who joins the Army during a war, swears an oath and then, when the chips are down, bails out on his Soldiers and his duty.

I don't know what this kid was thinking when he joined the Army. He talks now about the "lies" that Bush told to get us into the war and how he just thought more and more about it and decided that he couldn't support the war.

Well, it's too late, pal. You made a commitment. You made a promise, but not to the country, not to the American people, not to the government and certainly not to the president.

You made that commitment to me. Me and all the other Soldiers in the Army. The Army put it's faith in you and your word as an Officer and a Gentleman. The Army trained you and gave you the highest honor a man (or woman) could be given: the opportunity to lead Soldiers.

If you are a civilian you may have no idea what I'm talking about, and that's okay. If you are a Soldier and you don't know what I'm talking about, you should consider another line of work (after your ETS, of course...).

This is the ultimate betrayal, for an officer to turn his back on his Soldiers, whatever the reason. He can talk about principles and "waking the American people up," or whatever high-minded rationalizations he has come up with; but it boils down to betraying the Soldiers who put their trust in him. And betraying me, as a senior Non-Commissioned Officer. I need officers I can trust, not little boys who run away at the first sign of danger. The Army is not a game, and it's not a job. It's a service. You choose to serve or you don't. If you choose to serve, you serve your soldiers. Their needs come before your own needs.

There are only two things that should matter to an Army leader: Accomplish the mission - Take care of the Soldier. Politics are a secondary concern. I rant and rave here on my little blog, but you'll never read anything here that would compromise a mission or put a Soldier in danger.

If he wanted to speak out against the war after he left the Army, no problem. Had he led his Soldiers in Iraq, his words would have carried some weight. As it stands, he is just a coward, looking for an excuse to cover the fact that he's afraid of getting his ass shot off.

Words of wisdom from Col. Jessep:
Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns.

...my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colonel Jessep was the bad guy in a Few Good Men, right?

Ehren Watada is a hero who distinguishes himself from the human herd with the ability to think. Ehren Watada swore his oath to protect the constitution from enemies, foreign and domestic. The only way one could criticize Watada's actions is to accept the lies of Bush, Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld, and Powell. Those are the culprits who will eventually be tried and convicted of war crimes and crimes against the peace.

The crime is the "Thou shalt not think" attitude that hangs over this country like a plague.

caferacer99 said...

I guess it's all in your point of view...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.